Sunday 17 May 2015

Book Review: Hexed by Michelle Krys

Hexed by Michelle Krys
The Witch Hunter Book 1
Published by Random House Childrens
I received this courtesy of the publisher.

If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won’t stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn’t want to be her?

Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But it’s when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie’s world that she learns her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn’t get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that’s seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she’s a witch too.

Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie’s about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.
I don’t know how it is possible but for a fast paced book this sure dragged on. If I hadn’t received this courtesy of the publisher I probably would have put it down to be hummed over another day. Indigo Blackwood is a typical popular girl, caring more for what people think about her than being a decent person. Being a cheerleader and keeping her football star boyfriend happy are all that matters to Indie until she sees a boy die right in front of her eyes and her families’ old bible is taken soon after the death.

I really disliked Indigo from the get go, she really just pissed me off in the worst kind of way.  My irritation started early on when Indigo agreed with someone when they called her mother crazy just for owning an occult shop. I happen to like occult things and think wicca is cool and definitely not a reason to hate on your mother. Indigo also was horrible to a girl who seemed lovely and just wanted to be her friend and that was not okay with me. I really just didn’t like anything about Indigo’s personality and I thought she just used people.

Now on to Bishop the leading guy who also fell into every bad boy stereotype imaginable but is still sensitive and caring in a sarcastic kind of way. Just perfect really except for the fact that he felt so unreal it was ridiculous. Bishop sports tattoos and wears leather in super hot weather as is continuously pointed out but he also happens to be a warlock and shows up whenever there is trouble coincidently.

The word coincidence is taken to the extreme in this book one happens every 5 pages. Oh it just so happens that Indigo was driving down the same road as someone who dies, oh Indigo know where someone she’s not even mildly friends with lives. Wow all these magical things just happen and the reader is expected to be like cool, but really it just shows that there was no solid plot. The only thing that kept me from not wanting to bash my head against the wall was that the writing was easy to read and there was a twist that I didn’t expect.

Overall I wouldn’t recommend this book, I feel like there are so many better witch books out there if you have a good look. I most definitely won’t be carrying on this series unless I hear things get drastically better or I’m in the mood to punish myself.


2 comments:

  1. Even before I had finished reading your review Indigo was annoying me - what is it with authors writing horrible girls that are popular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. Just the information I was looking for. Thanks for sharing. From the blogger at Wiki blog

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye