Wednesday 4 February 2015

Book Review: All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Published by Penguin Teen Australia on 7 January 2015
384 Pages
Goodreads Book Depository
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

I just spent the last hour in my bathtub sobbing so this isn’t going to be my best review but god its going to be heartfelt so prepare for that. Up until writing this review I actually hadn’t read the synopsis for All The Bright Places, so I had no idea what I was going into and simply picked up the book on the recommendation of Kelly over at Diva Booknerd who said it would destroy me and boy was she right.

This book is being sold as a combination of Eleanor and Park and The Fault In Our Star the later of which I have read. I fall into the unfavourable opinion that The Fault In Our Stars was just okay, as I couldn’t really relate to the characters. This book blew it out of the water. It is really awe-inspiring is how relatable it is I’ve never connected so much with two characters and wished for them to have the best circumstances possible. I personally suffer from depression and anxiety and have at time been suicidal and to say that Jennifer Niven captured every emotion I’ve ever felt perfectly is an understatement. Jennifer Niven truly is a goddess of writing.

 So this book follows what happens when two completely different people meet in circumstances that no one ever wants to meet someone; up on bell tower both thinking about what it would be like to jump.  This is how Theodore Finch and Violet Markey meet and start their adventures. God they have such a beautiful adventures, and even that is understating it.  Dealing with topics like mental illness, post-traumatic stress and most importantly suicide this book isn’t a walk in the park but it is a must read for everyone.

Finch is now officially my favourite male character of all time; I really just want to hug him over and over. He is spontaneous, outrageous, a gentleman and just so alive. Finch has periods where he is asleep to the world and just doesn’t function and this makes him feel different than everyone else. Throughout this book Finch really struggles to find who he is and tries out a bunch of different personas like 80’s Finch and Nerd Finch and god I understood exactly what he was going through. It’s hard being weird and Finch is constantly reminded by everyone at his school that he’s weird. All of these things combine somehow to create the most realistic and beautiful character. On the other side of the spectrum is Violet and she is also perfect.

Violet suffers from post-traumatic after a devastating car crash took her older sisters life and her will to live. She quit all her hobbies, doesn’t drive and wears her sisters glasses like they make her some how Eleanor. Violet is stuck in a constant cycle of want to not live and also be alive that gives her an inexplicable connection to Finch and considering the circumstances they met, they both find it hard to forget each other. I did find that I connected with Finch better than Violet but I think that was purely because I understood him better than Violet.

This book has duel a prospective alternating between Violet and Finch they both had such individual voices without either of them losing the underlying beautiful prose that just captured my heart. I’m not really one for adult book but I’m going to be reading all of Jennifer Niven’s other books just in the hope that it’s there as well. I also really loved that quotes littered this book they ranged from Virginia Woolf to Dr Seuss. Each quote was meaningful well placed and just added generally to the story.

All in all if you’re even mildly considering reading this book please do and if you’re not considering reading it please think about it. I honestly can’t express my love this book enough it really just hit all spots.


19 comments:

  1. afjdkafds this is the most perfect review. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. I SO AGREE! I loved Finch, I loved Violet a lot too, but I think I related a lot to Finch. Omg, you put it into words though...Jennifer Niven absolutely captures what it is to be depressed. She is amazing. AND HORRIBLE BACAUSE OMG THAT ENDING. It's a typo, isn't it?? I'm sure it's a typo.
    xDXD
    Such an incredible book! *hugs it*
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawww thank you Cait! I just don’t even have enough words for this book really. I could have written this review over and over and it wouldn’t describe how much I love this book.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is the best review I have read on this book. To be honest, I wasnt considering reading it since it was being compared to The Fault In Our Star and I am not a fan of that book. But your review? It is making me reconsider my decision...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucia your comment made my day. I really hope you do read this book, I could not recommend it enough to you!

      Delete
  3. Finch sounds like such an interesting character, definitely want to give this book a read!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finch is such an interesting character you just can’t help feel like he’s real! I’m glad your looking at reading this book!

      Delete
  4. Ohmygosh just reading your review and the synopsis is enough to make me tear up. I want to read more about Finch and Violet - I want to know more about their stories, and as early as now, a part of me is already fervently hoping for a happy ending.

    Thank you so so so much for this beautiful and insightful review., Katie. I'm definitely bumping this up my TBR list!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a tear jerker! I was a sobbing mess. I’m glad my review made you bump this up your TBR I just want everyone to read it now.

      Delete
  5. I was sobbing by the end of this, too. It was just so emotional! I really enjoyed the quotes they exchanged between each other; especially the Virginia Woolfe ones! Awesome review :)

    Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it just gives all the feels doesn’t it, I was an emotional wreck at the end. I loved the Virginia Woolfe quotes too I really want to read The Wave now.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful review! I was on the fence about this one, but I'm totally going to add it to my TBR now :)

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad Wattle, it is absolutely beautiful in every way.

      Delete
  7. I'll have to add this to my list of books to read when I finish uni. I'm an English BA third year, so never get time to read anything for pleasure, but this looks so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks that you don’t get to read for pleasure anymore! I think I’d die a little if I didn’t get to read. I’m so glad your going to give this a go!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an amazing book, I have added it to my wishlist on Goodreads, thanks for the review - it certainly has raised my interest. Cover is beautiful too and love the idea of quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god just wait till you read it, it is more than amazing! I’m glad you added it to your wishlist :D The quotes are just amazing! Happy reading!

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a heartfelt review!! I loved reading it! You were just so INTO the characters, especially Finch! I've never heard of this book, or the author, before, but now I DESPERATELY want to read it!!!!! And that's because of how you wrote your review. I mean, this book REALLY touched you! And now I want it to touch me that deeply, as well.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Thanks, too, for visiting my blog and leaving such a NICE comment on my "Shelf Candy Saturday" post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, what an absolutely phenomenal and emotional review Katie, I'm tearing up just reading it.

    I'm so glad you loved this, I thought you would. Finch was just incredible, and I'm the same now, he's always one of my favourite characters ever. Eclectic, flamboyant and fun. But it was the darkness he constantly needed to avoid that drew me in even more, it was so incredibly raw and I love that Jennifer Niven didn't romanticise his illness either, like someone like John Green seems to.

    One of the loveliest reviews I've ever read Katie, just brilliant <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw this is a lovely review, it's so emotional and I could tell you clearly loved this novel. I loved the character Finch in this novel as well :) Glad I discovered your blog, I look forward to more of your reviews!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye